Renaissance College stunned recent winners of the tournament, German Swiss International School and Chinese International in emphatic style earning the right to “go for gold” in the 8th HKSDPSC Championships held at their school yesterday, November 9th. Showing strong teamwork and poise under pressure the hosts were the only unbeaten team on the day which saw 32 teams contest 72 debates.
Diocesan Girls’ School Team 2 upset top-breaking team South Island 1 in the quarters, then St Joseph’s in the semis to reach their first ever Grand Final in the Worlds Style. South Island had defeated DGS 2 in Round three of the preliminaries, but the girls turned the tables on SIS 1 in the sudden-death playoffs by one point after breaking 8th. Proving that this win was no fluke, DGS became worthy finalists with a clear win over St Joseph’s College in the semi-final.
Keshav Menon from SIS 1 accumulated enough points in the first 4 rounds to receive the “Best Speaker” award with a very healthy 74.5 average. There were also strong individual performances in the top 3 points rankings from Tristan Lau (SPC), Joyce Ng (SHCC), Odessa Ng (GSIS), Stephanie Leung (DGS2) and Stephy Lo (SHCC). See the top 24 rankings below.
Photos taken on the day can be viewed at this site:
In the Silver division, Queen Elizabeth School and Diocesan Boys’ School surged their way to the top after breaking 15th and 13th respectively.
The Bronze final will be a contest between South Island School’s second team and Raimondi College who finished the preliminaries in 17th and 24th place respectively.
The addition of the Crystal section proved popular with lively semi-finals leading to Wah Yan College Hong Kong (broke 25th) and Shatin College (27th) lining up to lift the Crystal trophy.
The Grand Finals evening at Renaissance on November 19th will see 4 consecutive Grand Finals.
GRAND FINAL RUNDOWN
Here is the line up for the “night of nights”
GOLD 8pm Motion: THBT the USA should cease its drone programme. Diocesan Girls’ School 2 (Proposition) vs Renaissance College (Opposition)
SILVER 6.40pm Motion: TH regrets the influence of Hollywood.
Diocesan Boys’ School (Proposition) vs Queen Elizabeth School (Opposition)
BRONZE 5.20pm Motion: THBT team sport should be compulsory in secondary schools
Raimondi College (Proposition) vs South Island School 2 (Opposition)
CRYSTAL 4 pm Motion: TH should ban beauty contests. Shatin College (Proposition) vs Wah Yan College Hong Kong (Opposition)
PATHS TO THE FINALS – DIVISIONAL FLOWCHARTS
TOP 24 SPEAKER RANKINGS
Team Debater Average at least 3 debates Rank
SIS1 Keshav Menon 74.5 1
SPC Tristan Lau 73 2
SHCC Joyce Ng 72 3=
GSIS Odessa Ng 72 3=
DGS2 Stephanie Leung 72 3=
SHCC Stephy Lo 72 3=
RenC Sarika Mahbubani 71.75 7
IS Karina Poon 71.7 8
ICS Mary Grace Hilliard 71.5 9
SPC Anson Lam 71.33 10=
GHS Gladys Mak 71.33 10=
HYS1 Juliet Leung 71.25 12
SJC Arthur Tang 71 13=
QES Becky Cheung 71 13=
SIS2 Belinda Ng 71 13=
GSIS Bernice Chung 71 13=
HYS1 Cadence Lin 71 13=
RaiC Calvin Ho 71 13=
DGS2 Codi Luk 71 13=
SJC EJ Anonuevo 71 13=
HYS1 Kelly Chan 71 13=
KGV Matthew Choy 71 13=
SIS2 Vlado Vasile 70.875 23
HYS2 Elizabeth Chu 70.83 24
Motions record for the tournament
R1: Impromptu – THBT Fast food restaurants are more harm than good
R2: This House believes that parenting classes should be part of the curriculum for HK secondary school students
R3: This House would ban alcohol companies from sponsoring sports events
QF: Impromptu TH would make it illegal for the media to intrude into the private lives of public figures
SF: This House rejects capital punishment
GOLD: THBT the USA should cease its drone programme.
SILVER: TH regrets the influence of Hollywood.
BRONZE: THBT team sport should be compulsory in secondary schools
CRYSTAL: TH should ban beauty contests.
|R1 (Prop v Opp)||R2 (Prop v Opp)||R3 (Prop v Opp)|
|GSIS v YCIS||QC v GSIS||GSIS v KGV|
|HKIS v CIS||CIS v GHS||SPCC2 v CIS|
|SIS1 v HYS1||SHCC v SIS1||SIS1 v DGS2|
|SSGC v SPCC1||SPCC1 v WYK||WIS v SPCC1|
|RaiC v RenC||HYS2 v RaiC||RaiC v SIS2|
|SC v LSC||LSC v SPC||QES v LSC|
|DGS1 v SJC||PLK v DGS1||DGS1 v WYCHK|
|IS v DBS||DBS v SSC||ICS v DBS|
|KGV v QC||KGV v YCIS||YCIS v QC|
|GHS v SPCC2||HKIS v SPCC2||GHS v HKIS|
|DGS2 v SHCC||DGS2 v HYS1||HYS1 v SHCC|
|WYK v WIS||SSGS v WIS||WYK v SSGC|
|SIS2 v HYS2||SIS2 v RenC||RenC v HYS2|
|SPC v QES||SC v QES||SPC v SC|
|WYCHK v PLK||WYCHK v SJC||SJC v PLK|
|SSC v ICS||IS v ICS||SSC v IS|
2. Bring $200 to register per team – 2 teams = $400. Receipts issued – if you bring cheque make it out to “South Island School”
4. We have decided to add a 4th Grand Final the “Crystal” Grand Final so that teams ranked 25-32 after the 3 prelims then fight it out for a Quarter Final that counts and the Semi Finals.
6. Dress code is neat – either very neat casual or semi-formal – black and white, jackets, business style but if you can’t manage that just be really neatly dressed – no sports gear. And NO SCHOOL UNIFORMS
7. Judges who have nominated please do not leave after lunch – with the new format there is incredible pressure after lunch for judging and if you are committed you stay. You should have organised an afternoon replacement by now so please no changes and be committed on the day.
8. At lunch time do not go far away and come back asap – a rule of thumb here is 40 minutes maximum after your finish round 3 be back in the meeting Hall.
11. Note that it is world schools style debating – 3 5 minute speeches, then a 2.30 speech reply given by either the first or second speaker. The third speaker identifies the CLASHES and analyses them further. No new material at third. The first two speeches are the traditional case + rebuttal type common to all debates after the First proposition speaker has laid out the whole debate.